Friday 24 June 2011

Otome and Fairy-kei

Now I really love wearing lolita but it's not really practical for everyday wear, I'll get more than my fair share of stares on the train wearing classic lolita (and that's without a headbow and petticoat). This is quite uncomfortable for me as I don't even like making eye contact with people on the train :D but I really love wearing loli so I decided to focus on some more casual (Otome) styles as well as fairy-kei today.

I know these styles are also quite bright and eye-catching but they seem to be styles that are also reflected in current fashion trends today. For instance the colourful trainers (sneakers) you can find in many shoe shops, it's a big trend in Japan currently (according to this weeks episode of Tokyo Fashion Express). I recently purchased some colourful trainers from Swimmer, a kind of novelty Japanese shop that sells cute things such as home ware and clothing.

These trainers are quite bright and colourful but you can also find similar styles in western shops such as Pastry and even customise your own colours at Nike. I've seen lolitas co-ordinate these sneakers with jumperskirts and skirts, mainly sweet lolita prints such as Milky Planet and Milky Berry. It seems to work really well especially with OTT sweet lolita and I guess they are more comfortable to wear than tea-parties ;-)


I think the sneakers also works well with Otome style because it's quite casual. I  purchased the strawberry pair to wear with my Emily Temple Cute Tea Party jumperskirt and I think the colours work really well with the print. I also co-ordinated the jsk with a kitsch cherry print blouse, I don't know if this is too much print overall :S I'd appreciate any ideas ;-)
Headbow: Angelic Pretty
Blouse: Henry Holland @ Debenhams
Jumperskirt: Emily Temple Cute
Trainers: SWIMMER

I love the peter pan collar blouse, it's quite retro and a trend also very popular in lolita. The print of the jumperskirt also features cherries but you have to look very closely to see them. I haven't worn the full co-ordinate out yet but I'm planning to soon, minus the headbow because I feel it might be a fruity overload and the white is too bright to match the jsk. I might have to sell it in that case since I don't own any other AP Sheep Garden items (I really wish I did though >_<). I also hope to team the outfit with a cute bag, I can't afford any brand right now so I ordered a teapot style bag from Loris, a Taobao shop. I think the teapot shape is quite quirky and cute.

Also I want to mention Fairy-kei, alot of elements have been incorporated into lolita recently, such as the new Angelic Pretty print - Dream Sky. A lot of lolitas have mixed feelings about this combination, personally I find it quite refreshing. It's very colourful and similar to OTT sweet but allows room for more variation. I had a look at a fairy-kei store called Nile Perch, they have some nice cutsew style tops that would work well with sweet lolita. Also pretty baby doll dresses that would go well with colourful sneakers.

5 comments:

  1. I love otome and fairy kei.
    Those shoes are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you still have the sneakers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you still have the sneakers?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you still have the sneakers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! Wondering if you still have the sneakers. I was searching for them online and came across your blog. I'd love to buy them off of you, regardless of the condition if you're willing.

    ReplyDelete